Westfield, MA — Harper (IL) captured the 2017 NJCAA DIII Women's Cross Country championship at Stanley Park after posting a low score of 24, just two points off of Mohawk Valley's (NY) DIII record 22 set in 2010. The title is Harper's second-straight championship.
The Hawks boasted their top five runners inside the top eight overall finishers. Herkimer's Chyanna Bernier, a sophomore and one of the nation's top runners throughout the year, took the top individual title with a time of 18:43.7 on the 5k course.
- Freshman Misbah Baig finished atop the leaderboard for Harper with a time of 19:02.4, good enough for third overall.
- Bree Bogucki, Rachel Temple, Natalie Cook, and Melissa Rodriguez rounded out the scoring for the Hawks.
- Harper has posted a top two finish in each of the last four years.
- Oxford Emory (GA) tallied 82 points to finish second, the program's best finish in school history as sophomore Emily Rexer finished 11th overall
- Kingsborough (NY), Fashion Institute (NY), and Lorain County (OH) rounded out the top five team finishers.
- SUNY Adirondack's (NY) Sheri Metcalf was the second overall finisher with a time of 18:51.9.
- Freshman Tyesha James of Kingsborough came in fourth overall at 19:22.
- Harper joins the Hawks' men team to capture 2017 DIII titles for the second consecutive year.
Photos courtesy of David Caspole