Topeka, KS – Freshman Adva Cohen captured her second individual title of the fall season to lead Iowa Central to the 2017 NJCAA Half Marathon Championship. The Tritons totaled a meet-best nine points, tied for the second lowest total in championship history.
Cohen adds on to her stellar season as the freshman also finished as the top runner in the DI women’s cross country championship where Iowa Central also finished as the top team. Cohen finished the meet at the Lake Shawnee & Bettis Family Sports Complex with a time of 1:20:25.0.
- The championship is Iowa Central’s fourth in program history, joining Johnson County (KS) and El Paso (TX) for the most overall.
- Iowa Central finished as co-champs with El Paso in 2016.
- Cohen becomes Iowa Central’s third consecutive individual winner to set a new NJCAA record
- Along with Cohen, teammates Agnes Mansaray (3) and Marion Bartilol (5) rounded out the scoring for the Tritons.
- El Paso finished second with 20 points as sophomore Shalet Mitei finished second overall with a time of 1:21:35.4.
- Sophomore Seselia Dala of South Plains (TX) finished fourth on Saturday to lead the Texans to a third-place team finish.
- Vincennes (IN) and Ranger (TX) rounded out the top five team scoring.
- Iowa Central’s victory is the seventh time a program has captured the team and individual title in the same year.
- The Triton women joined the Iowa Central men’s program to sweep the 2017 half marathon championships.