CHARLESTON, W.V. – Top-seed Parkland (Ill.) won its second consecutive NJCAA Division II volleyball championship Saturday with a three set sweep (25-20, 25-20, 25-18) over their Region 24 rival Lincoln Land (Ill.) at the Charleston Civic Center.
- Sofi Kelemete and Taylor Bauer led Parker offensively with nine kills apiece.
- Bauer and Laura Gross led the Cobra defensive effort with 25 combined digs.
- Jaime Johnson led the attack for Parkland with a match-high 34 assists.
- Parkland finishes the 2016 season with a 52-2 overall record, winning their last 17 matches.
- Parkland dominated the tournament field, never losing a set in their victories over No. 16 seed Rhode Island, No. 9 seed Scottsdale (Ariz.), No. 4 seed Catawba Valley (N.C.) and No. 3 seed Lincoln Land.
- During its 17-match winning streak that led to its second-straight national title, Parkland did not lose a set - winning 51 consecutive.
- Since 2013, Parkland has claimed two national titles and two national runner-up finishes to go along with a 215-8 overall record.
- Parkland joins Kishwaukee (2001-02 & 2006-07-08) as the only programs to win two or more consecutive national championships in NJCAA Division II volleyball.
- The 2016 national title is Parkland's third overall in DII volleyball - 2016, 2015 and 1999.
- Kelemete earned Tournament MVP honors for the second time in her career after leading Parkland's title run with 31 kills and 14 total blocks.
- Talesha Scott led Lincoln Land with seven kills and two solo blocks.
- Lincoln Land closes out their 2016 season at 40-9, falling to Parkland in the finals for the second year in a row.
Photos courtesy of Bob Bird