LUBOCK, Texas – For the second straight year, Gulf Coast State (Fla.) is going home with the NJCAA DI Women’s Basketball Championship. The No. 1 seed Commodores defeated No. 6 Trinity Valley (Texas) 87-63 for its fifth national title in program history.
Gulf Coast State jumped out to a solid advantage in the first frame leading 24-9 and maintained a solid cushion the rest of the game. Tournament MVP Taylor Emery pitched in 11 points to finish off her championship average at 20.2 points in four contests.
- Jhileya Dunlap of the Commodores finished with a game high 18 points and a rebound shy of a double-double.
- As a team, Gulf Coast State dished out 19 assists on 33 made shots and finished the tilt shooting 51.6 percent (33-64).
- The Commodores finished its 2017 championship run on a 10-game winning streak with an overall record of 34-2.
- Trinity Valley closes its season at 30-6.
- Shelton State (Ala.) defeated Salt Lake (UT) 67-62 in the third-place game to round out the top four finishers of the 2017 edition of the DI Women’s Basketball Championship.
Photos by Joe Morales / Rapid Shotz Photography