Nov 19, 2016
ORANGE BEACH, Ala. – Claiming the top three finishers Saturday at Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail, Iowa Central clinched its fifth NJCAA men’s half marathon title – tying South Plains (Texas) for most all-time.
- Iowa Central is the first program to sweep the top three places at the championship, finishing with a record-low six points in the event.
- Karim Achengli Benmouais finished first in 1:06:57 to become Iowa Central’s sixth individual national champion – adding to its NJCAA record.
- With a time of 1:08:44, Cody Baele earned a runner-up finish for the Tritons.
- Rounding out the Iowa Central’s showing was Ashenafi Hatte who took third in 1:09:10.
- The Tritons previously won championships in 2007, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- South Plains (Texas) finished second with 22 points, followed by 25 points from Allen County (Kan.).
- Felix Kosgei led South Plains with a fourth-place time of 1:09:26.
- Allen County’s top finisher was Ricardo Banuelos whose 1:09:43-effort earned fifth place.