Feb 26, 2017
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – Dakota (N.D.) was crowned the final champions of NJCAA ice hockey Sunday thanks to a 7-4 victory over Erie (N.Y.) at the SUNY Broome Ice Center.
- The defending champion Lumberjacks wasted no time flexing their muscle, as the No. 1 seed of the tournament jumped out to a 3-1 advantage.
- Erie clawed its way back to enter the final period tied at 4-4.
- Dakota scored three unanswered goals in the third period and the Kats were unable to respond.
- Freshman forward Zach Garrett led the Lumberjacks offense with a goal and two assists in the title game.
- The victory marks Dakota’s 10th national championship in program history.
- In three games, the Lumberjacks outscored their opponents 22-6 and averaged 7.3 goals per game in the national tournament.
- Dakota sophomore defenseman and tournament MVP Cody Longie tallied three goals and two assists in three games.
- Dakota notched a 4-1 win against Mohawk Valley (N.Y.) and a 10-1 victory over Hudson Valley (N.Y.) en route to Sunday’s matchup with Erie for the national title.
- Dakota head coach Travis Rybchinski was named Coach of the Tournament.
- The Lumberjacks finished their championship season with a 25-3-1 record.
- Erie finished second in the tournament followed by Hudson Valley and Mohawk Valley, respectively.
Photos courtesy of SUNY Broome.