GREENEVILLE, Tenn. – In the 2017 NJCAA Division III Baseball World Series, No. 4 Tyler (TX) defeated No. 2 Niagara County (NY) 5-1 to win claim its fourth straight baseball title. The win marks the Apaches fifth baseball championship in program history – the first was garnered in 2007 and the previous three in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Tyler jumped out of the gate swinging, as tournament MVP Taylor Broadway powered in a two-run home run to jump out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Off an error the Apaches added another run to tally three scores in the first frame.
Niagara County cut the deficit to 3-1 by adding it’s only run of the game off a sac-fly in the third stanza. Tyler added two more tallies in the closing innings to capture the championship 5-1 over Niagara County.
- With the win the Apaches finish its championship season with a 41-20 record.
- Broadway accumulated six hits and four runs batted in.
- Starting Apaches’ pitcher AbeRee Hiebert pitched six and two thirds innings and struck out eight batters, while only giving up a single run.
- Tyler’s head coach Doug Wren garnered Coach of the Tournament.
- The Apaches tallied three wins over the top two seeds of the tournament – two wins versus Niagara County (4-1, 5-1) and No. 1 Cumberland 6-5.
Photos courtesy of Tusculum Athletics