Indian River Takes Team Trophies at NJCAA Swimming & Diving ChampionshipsMarch 10, 2013
From Erie CC Sports Information
Complete Results - Click Here for Friday's Recap
BUFFALO, N.Y. – Indian River State College continued its reign at the 2013 NJCAA Swimming and Diving Championships as it swept the men’s and women’s team titles Saturday at the Burt Flickinger Athletic Center. IRSC scored 1,832 points on the men’s side to top Dayton State’s mark of 1,319. On the women’s side, IRSC recorded 1,648 points for the title, besting Dayton State’s total of 951. The national team titles were the 39th and 32nd, respectively, for the IRSC men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs.
Indian River’s Joshua Oathout and Yurie Nakano were named the swimmers of the meet. Oathout won the 200 backstroke event, his third win in two days. Also recorded her third win in two days was IRSC’s Yurie Nakano as she won the 100 freestyle Saturday to go with her wins in the 100 backstroke and 100 butterfly Friday. Nakano also led off IRSC’s winning 400 freestyle relay team Saturday.
Daytona State’s Ginny Grams set the meet record in the 1,650 freestyle, posting a time of 16:45.43, clipping 10 seconds off the mark set in 1986. The win was Grams’ third of the meet.
Crawford Berry claimed the one-meter diving competition, adding it to the three-meter title won Thursday.
Other individual winners Saturday were:
· Bradley Tandy, IRSC – 100 freestyle
· Sophie Drake, Daytona State – 200 backstroke
· Marc Rojas, IRSC – 1,650 freestyle
· Byron Wolkers, IRSC – 200 breaststroke
· Patricia Casellas, IRSC – 200 breaststroke
· Heinrich Alberts, IRSC – 200 butterfly
· Solvyette Lizardi, IRSC – 200 butterfly
Other award winners were:
· Non-scholarship Swimmer of the Year: (men’s) Kevin Burns, Monroe CC; (women’s) Katie Hamilton, Monroe CC
· Dr. Jack Cistriano Service Award: Jonathan Jordan, Iowa Lakes CC
· Diving Coach of the Year: Drew Aultman, Darton
· Diver of the Year: (men’s) Crawford Berry, Darton; (women’s) Shannon Mesaros, IRSC
· Coach of the Year: (men’s) Ryan Mallam, IRSC; (women’s) Ryan Mallam, IRSC
· Sypke Johnson women’s non-scholarship team award: Monroe CC
· Al Zamsky men’s non-scholarship team award: Monroe CC